Saturday, February 18, 2012

Boys and dogs in cars..

My friend, Joe (he's the one who really started all this craziness) had been wanting to come out to see Agnes. Ben and I have a little routine now. He helps with the trailer then works on one of his creations. Lunch is turkey or egg salad. Need to have sandwiches and potato chips when working on a trailer., dontcha think? Just goes hand in hand. Ben's current project was complete, so the day would be filled with trailer work. I was really looking forward to Joe coming out as he hadn't seen any work that we had done yet. Also, because he is Joegyver. We talked the day before about the pipe issue and Joe assured me that it would get taken care of. Ben decided to bring his puppies along so they could have some freedom to run around. The doggies piled into the car along with Ben and Joe, and a pack of 8 ft of benderboard. Knowing Tucker's penchant for chewing up anything and everything, I was hoping the benderboard would arrive intact. Tucker behaved himself but did get blamed for the mysterious odor that filled the car at one point. How could anyone blame him? Look at this face!




I had talked to my stepdad for awhile on the phone the night before. He told me how much he really enjoyed us coming out. They live so far away that visitors are always welcome change. But is wasn't just that. Although he has plenty of projects to keep him busy, the process of working of something together is so rewarding. Especially a new and unique project that we had to learn along the way. He has loved teaching Ben how to use all the tools and he enjoyed learning. He made sure to help me as much as possible but without taking the satisfaction of doing myself away. I love being outside and also seeing him enjoy all of it and seeing Ben create some beautiful pieces. My mom loves talking and taking care of everyone. It seems like such a nice experience for everyone and one that we look forward to every week. At least I know I do.


Joe and Ben get shit done-

They dive into pulling the fridge out with no problem, of course. Just heavy and had been attached in a really crappy, modified, band aid type of way. They also remove the pipes with ease that we had been so concerned about how we were going to get out. Bob and I address the rotted wood situation and make plans. I wanted to start sanding the floor, but the trailer is a little crowded. I feel like I am not doing anything. I don't want to just sit back and direct and make someone do all the work. I want to learn and be hands on and do things myself so that when it is all done, I can say, "Yes, I did that!".  I start to feel like an observer while all these men are doing the real work. "Hey, wait a minute I want to rip out the wall! I want to remove the pipes",  feeling a little useless and a little envious as I watch. Then I relax and smile. Each one of them seems to be liking the satisfaction of completing a task, being involved. They are having their own dialogue without me, and I think are enjoying themselves. I realize that I do need them to do certain things and I hope it makes them feel good to be needed. I know that when it's done, it will be even more special knowing they were a part of the experience. That makes me immediately 100 times more happier than doing everything myself.

This also means that more ideas come into play. Like the idea that Joe and Ben got that I should tear down the bathroom wall. That did not go over well with me at all. Didn't they know that nooks and crannies and hidden spaces are my most favorite thing in the world?! Didn't they know how I loved my teensy little bathroom soon to be a library/tea room/wine room? What's that you say? Not really enough room or practical to do that in a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 ft space? Why not?  The thought of opening up my favorite little space in the trailer was horrifying. They insist that I should tear down the wall and build more useful things for the space. Granted they were only trying to help me fulfill my vision.  I think. Or maybe they just felt like wrecking something. Anyway, I couldn't commit to the idea just yet. The idea or a separate room was one of my favorite quirky things about Agnes. Would she lose a little charm if we changed her from a cottage vibe to great room vibe? Not really my style.  But Joe told me how he could build shelves and all the ways we could transform the bathroom into a really cool little space that was just more accessible. Ok, that seems like a good idea. Will need to mull it over a bit... We also talked about the fridge area. We could get a smaller one and use the extra space for something else.  One thing there was no question about was the bed. I decided that the second I walked in the trailer the day I bought it. The back of the trailer would need a big white fluffy bed. Not a fold out or table that converts to an icky foam mattress. No, I want a cloud.

Work time!

Yay! That pipe is gone!


Saving wires as the back gets ripped off
This is where the white fluffy bed is going
Hmm.. kinda cool all open

Old Fridge
Slightly damaged floor

Assessing the situation

The infamous seagull poop splat (what is it?!)

Randomness

But I want to help!

My little nooks and crannies

Happy doggie

Most awesome dog

Portion of puppies

Shy momma

Are you sure that's how?

Oh, Joe!



Today was a full day. The dogs got to really run and were smiling the whole time. We ate sandwiches (of course). We drove up to a cool old hardware store and also went to see Patty, the junk lady. We scored a bunch of goodies there and also met 11 puppies and their mom! It was so tempting to snatch one of them up to take home. We also met an awesome border collie with white eyes and a horse with her baby. Bob gave the guys each a knife from his collection and loaded Ben up with some starter tools for his business. Oh yeah, and we did a little work on the trailer :)






No comments:

Post a Comment